Thursday, November 10, 2011

Keeping It Light and Fluffy! {Marshmallow Multiplication}

Alright...has anyone else had one of "those" weeks! You know...the ones that haunt you and give you nightmares for weeks on end!  Well...maybe it hasn't been THAT bad but I honestly never believed in the theory of THE "full moon" until I became a teacher! The little darlings have been a tad on the crazy side this week. So during this "time of the month" {hey...we all have them right???} that they feel their hands always have to be moving and their lips just tend to follow, I find every way imaginable to put those hands and mouths to good use. Needless to say...just about everything on my lesson plans have been revised...and revised...and revised! Where is that little poster about pretending that it is on the lesson plan again??? {Riiiiggghhhtt! wink! wink!}

Thanks to the world of blogging, I did a little borrowing to create a fun activity to get my kids all into multiplication {as if they needed motivation...they have been begging and dreaming about this day...I SWEAR!} Abby over at "THE" Inspired Apple used this same concept to teach place value. It worked PER.FECT for multiplication as well! Thanks Abby for all of your awesomeness!

Here is how my little marshmallow multiplication lesson went down:

I introduced the concept of multiplication using a Brainpop Jr. video with the all too famous Annie and Moby. After the initial introduction, we used marshmallows and fruit loops to show how we can use repeated addition to solve multiplication problems. For each problem, the students used marshmallows to show the number of groups and fruit loops to show the number of objects in each group.


My little crazies sweeties at work! They truly are the most amazing students ever...even on weeks where they are a little off their rockers!

This is short and sweet tonight. Friday is so calling my name!!!

A BIG TGI {Almost....almost...almost...}F!!!!!!!!

P.S. If something doesn't make sense or you see a trillion spelling errors...I am so blaming it ON THE KIDS!!!!! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment