Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Fine Day Out in Derby World

It was the start time that i have been to the Derby show, which is quite surprising as it is really the nearest show to me. Well finding it was a little be of a pain as I know it was at Donington Park but actually where about was a different matter but we got there and gosh it is a rather large place. The layout was quite simple with all the stores at one end of a huge hall and all the games down the other so we set about having a look around and the first thing we came across was the Warlord Games' stand and they had there new Pegasus Bridge on display and I have to say it was rather nice and a great display piece but I have no real use for it as I personally don't do late Second War World but it was still very nice and here is a small taster of it.






Next on the tour of the place was an amazing looking game that for some reason Mrs PK fell in love with. It was a demo game of West Wind Production's Empire of the Dead game. Now more on this later but it was a Jack the Ripper hunt through the streets of Old London Town, well the Whitechapel area and it looked really good. The chaps who where putting on the demo had just run one but said to come back and they will happily put another demo on. Here is a couple of pictures of the gaming board and it was amazing but I will come back to this shortly.



So we walked around the place and had a good chat with Mark and Neil from Under The Bed Enterprises as Mrs PK wanted a knitted Cthulhu and myself a Vickers Medium MkII Tank, which I got a bit knocked off which was very nice of them. However the knitted Cthulhu's were out of stock, something about the dear old lady that creates them in the basement of there shop is not being to keep on with demand and poor Mrs PK had to go without another one, which she was actually a little upset by and I can understand why as they are rather cute.


Nest stop after wondering around for a bit was to War Bases and I meet up with a very nice blogger, Loki. I had a great chat with him and he is a very nice fella but strangely not a plated beard or hair in sight but the battleaxe might of been behind the counter, lol. No a great chap and he has persuaded me to help out with a new logo for Bloggers for Charity which I am more than happy to do for him and the cause. I also got some casualty markers from War Base to use as pin markers for Bolt Action and any other game I care to think of.

After the good chat i carry on my tour of the show where there are some very interesting stores and display games and some very competition games too. had a quick chat with Tamsin from Wargaming Girl who was in the middle of a Field of Glory game and it was very nice to meet her. I carried on with the tour and sadly didn't meet up any other bloggers that where about, but there is always the next show and time, like Blogcon maybe. Here are a few pictures of the show that I took on my wonderings.











So back to the Empire of the Dead demo Mrs PK dragged us. Now before I go any further I should say that Mrs PK is not a gamer at all but for some reason, well because it had Jack the Ripper in and she is more than a little obsessive about him was in the game she actually wanted to play the demo. So when we got there a game was about to start and Mrs PK got to play Jack. It started well for she as she or rather Jack managed to kill and harvest his.her first victim and dragged the body away, something she was rather pleased with. Meanwhile Holmes and Watson played by a father and son team went on there merry way to stop him/her. So Mrs PK sorry Jack went off to find his/her next victim and found her but she gave a good account for herself fighting off Jack/Mrs PK until Holmes and Watson caught up with him and that was the end. Mrs PK really enjoyed the game so must so that she went off and brought a Jack the Ripper figure and killed victims for me to painted up and for her to play at Salute, yes my darling, serial killer wife wants to go to the biggest Geek, Wargame event in the UK next year. I have to say a big thanks to Neil and Steve for putting on the game, which can be downloaded from West Wind Productions website. The lovely thing about the gaming board was that all the buildings where actually scratch built by Neil and Steve and looked awesome, so much so that I am wanting to try and build some myself. Here are a few more pictures of the game.









Mrs PK planning to kill her first victim
Mrs Pk after being caught.
I have to say that it was a very enjoyable day, even with the noise of motorbikes and airplanes scream about and I will be there next year and even plan to put on a VBCW game. I was pleasantly surprised to seen a number of people selling VBCW books, which is good and even more pleased to hear that Went the Day Well has sold out, so a second edition needs to be done. Just one last shout has to go to Black Pyramind Gaming a couple of nice chaps who do a lovely range of VSF/Steampunk figure in a wonderfully named The Tea Wars. They do a lot of different heads in there range some of which will be ideal for VBCW and they are even got a VBCW range in the pipeline, so life in the old dog yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment