Friday, March 23, 2012

Castings, Reivers and a Big Thanks

Casting and I Visit to Reiver

Last Monday I was very lucky and got to see something I have only ever got to dream about, that is seeing the process on how a little toy soldier is made. Now dont get me wrong I had some idea of casting after watching a video by ZombieSmith on it but getting to see it first hand was great. So I popped in on Rob at Reiver Castings after being invited to see them and I can say I was not disappointed. I was amazing at the number of different mould that they had and that an average mould being made of vulcanised rubber lasts about 2000 spins before it is unless and then its a new one.

I got to see to whole process and I have to say I was amazed by the speed that you take to do. From putting in the lead to them hitting the work table after the spin only takes a few minutes. Rob said that at their height, before shows, they get 20 spins an hour, but thats working flat out. Its amazing to see the moulds before any lead is in them, about 12 to 15 figures in them, with thin lines to vent off the excess and heat, they are a marvel to look at. But once the casting has been made and you see the little soldiers all shiny and new gosh its was amazing. I saw three different castings done of there new figures and I think all bar one came out and the one that did was only the gun and in truth you simply just put it back in the pot and remelt it. The one thing I was shocked with was the cost of the white metal, £25 per kilo. I think it is amazing that these chaps, in the industrial as a whole, manage to survive.

Miners

Miners
Now I said that I was lucky and I mean luck as I am the first person to have any of these figures. Firstly are the miners with the hard hat with a lamp in it and wearing suit, miners in the 1930s actually wore suit to dig in and overalls came in later. These are for VBCW mainly but could easily fit any WW2 game as home guard or partisans or any post war game. These are figures that once painted look amazingly better than they doing the naked metal but saying that you get ten figures for £10.00 which is not to bad. I actually like these figures a little smaller than your average 28mm but if you keep them as a unit you will never know and they make great army fillers.

Railwaymen

Railwaymen
These represent both the platform staff with the hard flat peaked cap and the engineer and fireman with the softer peaked cap. Again they are in suits or rather the uniform of the railway companies, overalls actual didnt come in until after the war. Again as with the Miners they are rather nice and good unit fillers and can be used for WW2 or post war conflicts as well as VBCW which is what they were designed for.

Tradesmen

Tradesmen
And these are Tradesmen is overcoats and Dusters. This is a very nice collection of general, everyday people in flat caps, peaked caps and trilbies. These can you used as partisans and general civilian home guard unit for WW2 and post war conflicts.I am going to enjoy painting these as I am going to enjoy paint all of them. They do look better in the lead once a coat of paint is on them they all wonderful.

I was lucky to see some masters that they were doing that day, cavalry in lancer jackets and peaked caps, something that I am after and over stuff. They have tons of new stuff for VBCW and the Irish Wars ranges and I personal wish them all the best with it. Personally I will be buying some more of the toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment