Saturday, June 16, 2012

Month-by-Month Math Centers!

What would we do without those special activities, things we can’t live without, must have staples that make us look like we know what we are doing? ;) You know…the whole “teach on…and pretend that it is on the lesson plan” way of thinking.  {A.K.A. the kids are always busy bees…including when the principal walks in for an observation}. :) In my classroom, I try to create fun yet meaningful staples that really keep the students engaged and interested all while mastering/perfecting standards-based skills. One of my must haves for each month is our classroom math centers. I have used them since first grade and they are oh so wonderful and save me oh so much time! It is so nice to have centers ready to go at the beginning of each month…for the ENTIRE month! {You can check out a post about my center setup HERE.} With my firsties, I used them as spiral review and for a little intervention with a few struggling loves. In second grade, they have made the absolute perfect early finisher activity to eliminate that whole “what can I do now” sort of thing! I plan on putting them to use immediately in third grade as we get back into the swing of things and refresh our memory from summer vacay!

Here is how they are setup in my classroom:

Slide6

When the students finish an assignment, they choose an activity to complete {student choice…check!}. The activities are designed to challenge each student at their own independent learning level as they create one, two, three {or more} digit numbers {differentiation…check}. The best part…it is not necessary for the kiddos to have access to 1,000 different manipulatives! {Can I get an amen?} All they need is their recording sheet and a deck of cards {minimal preparation for the teacher…CHECK!}

So…needless to say…I love ‘em and can’t live without ‘em! They are perfect for helping students master those basic concepts that they can’t live without when it comes to math! I guess they have been a win/win in my classroom! Once the students are trained…they are the best thing since that quietest classroom pencil sharpener…which is pretty amaze. :) If you haven’t checked that out, you need to!

Now, for some more happy news! I have finished my month-by-month classroom math centers…for the Whole. Entire. Year!!!! Wait I think I need a few more “!!!!!!!!!!” So excited to have these ready to go for the kiddos {and for myself!} When using these centers, you can either follow the month-by-month units, or you can pick and choose units and incorporate them whenever they would fit best into your instruction! They can be used as center activities, homework, early finishers…and the list goes on. They do not have to follow a specific progression!

You can check them all out at TPT right now by clicking on the pictures below. 

The Newbies:

Slide1

To match my beginning of the year Going for the Gold Unit!

Slide15 Slide16 Slide17

Slide1

Slide1

Slide14 Slide15 Slide16

Unit Preview

Slide1

Slide14 Slide15 Slide16

Unit Preview

The Whole Shebang:

Slide1  Slide1  Playing Card Math Centers

Slide1  Slide1  Slide1

Slide1  Slide1 Slide1

Slide1

Centers for the year…checked off and feeling so good! :)

Hope you are all having a fabulous weekend! So tell me…what are your “staples” that you just can’t live without?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment